MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

BRUCE BOTHERS THE LOCAL GAY COMMUNITY

I could safely declare that this must be the most eventful months of my life. First, I went from never-been-kissed to being kissed so seductively that I'm permanently hooked on the memories of 'his' lips. Then, finally getting the opportunity to do atleast some depraved, decadent, socially-objectionable acts. There's nothing like being a sinful, wicked boy ;-)

Then I found how to make bookstores FUN!

And then I somehow stumbled into today. Well, I guess I managed to do that by waking up but I digress. The point is that today was yet another 'first' in my rapidly growing list of firsts.

There was this imposing LGBT (Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgendered) community center near my neighborhood that I used to pass and stare at longingly. Whenever I passed by, it always taunted and tempted me with unknown prospects. The rainbow flag's image went into my visual cortex and bothered the decent Pakistani flag to marry it! So, the simple Paki boy gave into the relentless temptation today!

I am so proud of myself for being brave enough to face my inhibitions and fears and walk up those stairs and enter into that building and say, "Hi! I'm Bruce and I'm here!"
Disclaimer: I did not actually say those exact words but that was the gist of my introduction.

Then I got information on programs, support groups, events etc. I didn't stay long but the time I spent there wasn't important; it was the fact that I am slowly but surely moving on, taking control and discarding my inhibitions. Just a year ago I could not even mention the word gay in front of anyone and could never imagine that a year down the lane I would have come such a long way in my journey of self-realization. I am gradually breaking away from the social and psychological chains and I am glad that I could do all this and do it so early in life- it's more than what many other people can do.

Oh, I can just imagine my ancestors turning and tossing frantically in their graves. They already had decided that somehow a really bad apple was born in their family but now they've resigned to the fact that this bad apple is going to do much more--so much more!