MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

PAKIS

Spent the day in a very Pakistani way: with loads of relatives! It's so frustrating that no matter which corner of the world I go to there are always family members living there. Beware, people of the world Paki's are EVERYWHERE!

So, I felt so Paki when I went in to town in a huge car brimming with people. And then it was kinda cool to get out of the car and people would stare to see the whole family brigade! Then, we would form a huge group and go to shops and it was like a swarm of locusts! But, I kinda liked it; it's just soooo 'us'. We are Pakistanis and we are so cool!

But, then again we are Paki's: sitting in the lounge and talking to cousins. Every word is so conservative. Every thing so against what I believe in. Then the usual talk about family and Islamic values. Then somehow the topic of homosexuality comes in and everyone makes fun of gays, but the thing is that they use an exaggerated stereotype of super-effeminate, hand-gesture making guys. And then finally one of the cousin declares proudly, "I'm homophobic; these people are just so sick!" That made me sick. That's my reality. SHIT!