MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

I CAME OUT TO MY MOM!

There are days in one's life that are important landmarks in the path of one's life. These are the days when something important happens which has the potential of changing the whole course of one's life. Today was one such day:
I CAME OUT TO MY MOM!!!!
I DID!

This has been something that I've been thinking of for years and today it finally happened. The weird thing is that I didn't have any plan to tell her as yet but it just happened.

I felt like just telling her but the words wouldn't come out of my mouth. It felt as if the roof would fall down if those two words came out of my mouth, "I'm gay." I tried to summon up the courage and then just spilled out those words and then I realized that nothing had fallen or crashed--everything was ok.

My mom was incredibly cool about the whole thing. She said that this doesn't change anything between us and that she will try to be as supportive as she can. She said that she doesn't understand it well and maybe it's difficult for her to contemplate what this really means but she's being as understanding as she can.

I'm so happy that she reacted in this way and it makes me feel so much more secure. I couldn't have asked for a better mom!