MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

IS DEMOCRACY THE BEST OPTION?

I've realized that the U.S system of elections is quite abstruse to understand. It's complicated but it sure is interesting like hell! But it's kinda sad that Bush is going to win even after Kerry's arduous campaigning. I know, I know, the result hasn't been announced yet but it's my intuitive feeling that Kerry's gonna lose.

Watching the whole election is like a drama; a form of entertainment-with legendary rockers; fire-works; debates; celebrities...it's fun! But the reason why the whole world is so interested in U.S elections is that the result effects many countries around the world. U.S policies and actions can easily turn the course of current affairs either in the positive or negative directions. So, apart from the entertainment value it's also real concern that fuels the world's keen interest in the elections.

I have been wondering whether democracy is a successful system of governance or not? I guess, theoretically it seems quite good but it isn't that perfect in reality. Just looking at U.S one sees that the government is not representative of almost half of the populace. The two-party system really doesn't offer much choice or change anyway, as both parties tread middle-ground in an effort to please everyone. Many people feel disenfranchised no matter who wins the election. The voter turn-out is also quite low meaning that the winner is voted by a minority of eligible voters and so doesn't represent the will of the people.

It just seems to me that citizens have very little say or power to change or control the processes of governing. There are many nations who are with the U.S in the war on terrorism but the majority of citizens of that country are against it, like, Australia, Italy, U.K, Japan, S.Korea etc. And that's what makes me think...maybe democracy was a step forward from the previous forms of governance but maybe we need to move further onwards and devise a more representative system for the modern post-industrial society.