MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Friday, October 22, 2004

ALLAH GETS IN A NAUGHTY MOOD

What was that theory called, the one that said: if anything can go wrong then it will! Maybe it was called the Murphy law. Anyway, today I understood that the person who came up with that theory must be a genius or as unlucky as yours sincerely.

Today I took time out to surf online and apply to universities and I was prepared to spend about 6-7 hours in thorough research of my prospects. I was all ready and bursting with enthusiasm, I opened the net and started to google when an error dialog box suddenly appeared from hell announcing that my net credits had expired. DAMN! I needed to buy internet hours. I thought, 'well, shit happens, I'll just go and buy an internet card.' So I went to the market bought a card, set up an account and opened a form of application. I was deep in concentration when, HUH? The computer shut off; the power had gone! It's not unusual for the power to fail in Pak but why does it always choose the most appropriate moments? That's the question; why do things fail, break or get lost when you need them the most otherwise they're lying around like a nuisance but when you need them then something happens to them.

So, there I was frustrated and irritated staring at the monitor and cursing. The light came after 3 god forsaken hours and by that time I was simmering in anger. I got online again and actually managed to fill a few forms and then God decided he needed to tease me a little more so guess what he thought of? He sent an army of relatives at my place and being the proper Pakistani I am, I had to entertain them and give them all my attention. Curse my parents for drumming into my head that one has to maintain good relations with one's million relatives. Curse this extended family!

By the time they all left I was too tired to continue my quest to find the perfect college but I knew I had to so I forced myself to start again and then OUAC application for international students link failed to open and it was the most important part of the procedure. And after failing to open it after a lot of tries I got so frustrated that I kicked my foot in anger and then Allah played the last joke: My foot got caught in the power cord and flicked the plug out of the power switch, the computer shut off and all my (foolishly) unsaved documents-which took alot of time to download and fill- got lost forever and ever.

I was stunned and then all of a sudden I saw the joke of it all. "Okay Allah, you win. Sheesh, don't you love to play games with me." I was shaking my head and laughing at the thought of my helplessness, I must be looking really demented. But guess what, there's always a tomorrow.
Let's wait till tomorrow Allah, then we'll play again!