MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

GOTHIC IMPULSES



Misunderstood Goth movement:

All around the world many disaffected, resentful, rebellious teenagers are taken in by the Goth world. They find it a very suitable expression of their state of mind and therefore derive some solace from it. They say that almost every gay teen has to go through a Goth phase. It's a huge overstatement but there is some underlying truth in that and it is true as far as I am concerned. I have been influenced by the Goth movement from about two years. But whatever gothness I have has always been well hidden and never allowed to be incorporated in my personality. But sometimes I really want to start wearing black, dyeing my hair and wearing gothic makeup.



I want to act like a Goth as a statement of rebellion and because I could never fit in this society. And I despise this society for rejecting me and so I want to reject it and Goth seems perfect for that. I relate to Goth music and art.



But I guess being a Goth is just a wild desire which is never going to see the light of day. God, just imagining the reaction of my parents and the million relatives- common in the close-knit Paki extended family system- is enough to force even the thought of doing anything too unconventional out of my mind. But maybe someday I would be able to do what I want to do and live my life my way and then, I guess, I wouldn't even need Goth.
Kinda ironic.