MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Friday, October 29, 2004

YOU'RE ALL SURVIVORS

What really amazes me is the human ability to cope with the stresses of life. There are so many traumatic events that most of us go through that common sense would make it seem as if people would either die or go crazy but instead people pass through all sorts of horrible events and still are able to smile. Yes, I was watching the movie 'It's a beautiful life' for the millionth time and it never seems to lose it's appeal. How a person can live through the horrors of war and holocaust and still never stops seeing the beauty of life is mind blowing.

Recently, I was chatting with the maid who cleans my house when I learned about the horrors she has gone through. Her husband used to beat the shit out of her, till one day she landed in the emergency rom and the authorities took notice and she finally divorced the bastard but then her family excommunicated her because she dared to divorce her husband (still taboo in traditional families) and then she lost one limb in an accident but she told me that she didn't give up instead she vowed that she'll make it on her own and she started working as a maid. That is the human spirit to live I'm talking about!

Today there was a huge family get-together. Everybody was there and all of us were laughing and making merry. But with us was one of our aunt who has terminal cancer and is only 40 years old. We all know she is going to die. And I'm sure everyone of us have many other problems that torment us but it's amazing how humans seem to forget all of that when they get together. I read in some psychology magazine about this: We switch to a special frame of mind when we're in a party or in a group of friendly people. We laugh, hug, joke and just seem so care free.
Don't you think it's amazing?