MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

YEAH! EID IS COMING

Ohhh! Ohhh! Eid is coming near. Yippie! Although Eid is supposed to be a family event and my family isn't here with me but still I'm excited. I got new clothes and a new hair-do. God, I want everyone to see it! But it's boring not to be in college. Everything is much better in college. You know, when you get a new hair-cut and all your peers notice and comment. But I'm left with a few remarks by relatives and believe me it's no fun with relatives. It's fun only with family and friends NOT uncles, aunts and irritating too-old or too-young cousins.

Yes! Eid...(drifting off to better memories) it was such a magical time for me when I was a kid. Then it's intense pleasure started to fade when I became a teen. When I was 14 I disappointed my parents by not acting all excited and happy about it. I just sulked as they dragged me from one relative's place to another. But when I hit 17 I started appreciating this tradition of ours. I mean everyone is dressed fabulously, girls are wearing bright colorful colors, men look well-groomed; you get to eat alot of sweets; meet a lot of people; get alot of money; get to spend alot of money AND you get to look mind-numbingly hot! So, what's so bad about that? I say, the whole world should celebrate this lively, colorful and fun event!

By the way, I also love Halloween and Christmas. When I was a kid, my dad used to dress as Santa Claus on christmas eve and give me presents. But christmas is much more fun in a christian country like UK or USA; I used to have more fun there not in Pakistan because no one celebrates christmas that much here. Same with Halloween; I had a blast trick-or-treating when I was in USA but here I sometimes just don a mask and hit a restaurant which has a halloween themed night. Were can I live so I can enjoy both cultures equally? Why am I torn between two worlds?

EID MUBARAK HAPPY EID