MY STATE OF EXISTENCE

Life...That's just it. It's happening all around me and it fascinates me. Life can and does beat the shit out of me but surviving that is what life is about. And this blog is about me, someone who doesn't fit any stereotype or label. There are alot of labels I posess Pakistani, Muslim, Young, Gay, Student but I don't want to fit in some pre-conceived notion of those labels. I maintain my individuality and this blog is the affirmation of my uniqueness.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

ADMISSION IMBROGLIO


Once upon a time people used to live in simple agricultural societies. While growing up one knew what one would become. There was a fixed status and role ascribed to you from the beginning. So teens didn't have to search themselves so much for what they wanted to become. Fast forward to the 21st century and you have thousands of jobs and even more subjects and countless universities and lifestyle choices. No wonder many young people can't make up their mind what to do and this includes me. Ever since O-levels I have been confused about what to study and what job to aim for. In A-Levels I must be the most indecisive student in my whole college as I kept on changing my subjects ALOT! and as a result I studied subjects I didn't wanted and made wrong career aims which resulted in a lot of money and time being wasted. Now, after a lot of analysing and thinking, I am finally clear about what I want to do in life but the trouble now is deciding where to apply and how. It's amazing how complex the whole admission process can be. There is alot of bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo involved and so many requirements.



The only thing I like about our complex world is the choices it offers and the ample space it gives for individual personality development. The more complex society becomes the more freedom we have (well usually). I like a society in which I don't have much ascribed statuses and roles so that I have more leeway and freedom to decide my own course in life. I like less informal social control as it allows me to live my life as I want to without other people like relatives, neighbors etc. interfering. Our complex society definately offers more personal freedom and that is a cherished quality for marginalised and discriminated people like me.

Ofcourse, I realize, that more freedom and equality has a price; that is, close-knit simple societies. So loneliness and isolation might be a side effect but maybe it doesn't have to be like that. Maybe friends and subcultural associations can form social networks that are sufficient to ward off isolation and still don't threaten one's freedom and independence. I'll just have to live and learn about that and I am just hoping to get in a desirable university. But whatever is the truth, our global techonological society really enthralls and interests me with all it's flaws and beauty.

Au revoir!